Another important factor is the book blurb. From a blurb you can tell if the genre is young adult, dystopian, or sci-fi. Will the story be a mystery or a thriller? Will you be reading about the real world or a place of fantasy?
A lot of time and energy is put into a blurb so that it will grab readers and not let go.
Just for fun, here are the beginnings of a few blurbs from some well known books. Do you recognize them? The answers are at the end of this posting.
1. In the ruins of a place once known as North America, lies the nation of Panem, a shining
Capitol surrounded by twelve outlying districts.
2. One choice. One choice decides your friends. One choice defines your belief. One
choice determines your loyalties - forever. One choice can transform you.
3. Dear mortal reader: I have sworn upon the River Styx that the events in this book are
4. To realize one's destiny is a person's only obligation.
5. Standing on the fringes of life ... offers a unique perspective. But there comes a time to
see what it looks like from the dance floor.
6. It was a dark and stormy night.
7. Can a parent love too much? Or is too much never enough?
8. If you ain't scared, you ain't human.
1. The Hunger Games
3. The Lightning Thief
4. The Alchemist
5. The Perks of Being a Wallflower
6. A Wrinkle in Time
7. My Sister's Keeper
8. The Maze Runner